The Mediterranean Lifestyle is about much more than just diet. It is a way of being. It is hard to really understand it unless you actually go to the Mediterranean region, get away from the touristy areas, and spend some time in small villages. Here, as you walk down the road, you will be invited […]
The traditional Mediterranean Diet has been shown to be one of the healthiest ways of eating in the world. The problem is that many Mediterranean recipes found in cookbooks or on the web are not traditional. We interviewed the Mother of a local restaurant owner on the Island of Crete to find out what a typical week of eating would have looked like 30 years ago. This is a true Mediterranean Diet meal plan from the island. There were no fancy kitchens and people ate mostly off their own land. Dishes were simple and delicious peasant foods.
Olive oil is a key component of the Mediterranean Diet. You will find it in almost every Mediterranean Diet recipe. It can be difficult to get a good quality olive oil here in the states. Here are some tips for buying and cooking with olive oil.
As with most recipes, technique is important. In this video, Alia and her Grandmother show step by step how to make traditional couscous.
For a country the size of an average U.S. state, Portugal has an unimaginable amount of food lore and a history around food that is rich and varied. Arabs who occupied southern regions of Portugal in the eighth century are said to have made contributions that last today, as did Portuguese sailors, who brought spices […]
Being vegan means not consuming any animal products (including meat, milk, cheese, honey, fish, and chicken). There are plenty of vegan Mediterranean recipes. People on the Greek island of Crete are traditionally vegans half of the year, because they don’t eat any meat or dairy on religious holidays and there are a lot of religious holidays! On those days, they will eat veggies, beans, nuts, seeds, bread, and fruit. The great thing about this is that they have been doing it so long that they have created thousands of delicious recipes. There is no feeling of lack on the days when they go vegan.
The 10 Steps
- Step One – Learn about the Mediterranean Diet and it’s benefits.
- Step Two – Try It! Recipes, Restaurants, and Friends
- Step Three – Eat the Bulk of your diet from raw and cooked fruits and vegetables.
- Step Four – Popeye’s Rule – Eat at least one serving of Greens per day
- Step Five – Make the Switch to Olive Oil (and other healthy fats)
- Step Six – Change your Protein
- Step Seven – Eat small amounts of whole, unprocessed grains
- Step Eight – Make what you drink work for you
- Step Nine – Move!
- Step Ten – Practice the Mediterranean Guidelines no matter what kind of food you are eating.