Cornbread can be part of the Mediterranean Diet, but this recipe is more of a traditional Mexican or Southwestern U.S. recipe. I love how easy it is to make especially if you have a cast iron skillet (it will work size wise in skillets ranging from 7″ to 10″). It can also be baked in a 9″ x 12″ casserole dish. This recipe happens to be gluten free and full of flavor from the creamed corn and green chilies. If you like spicy than get the hot or medium green chilies. Otherwise, go for mild. One of my favorite things to do with this cornbread is to make huevos rancheros. Top warm cornbread with our black bean stew recipe and eggs fried in olive oil. A little Greek yogurt and salsa goes nicely with this as well. Enjoy!
Savory Skillet Cornbread (Mexico)
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (4.8 /5)
- 2 ratings
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup creamed corn
- 1 small can chopped green chilies
- 2/3 cup milk (replace with almond milk if desired)
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine cornmeal and baking soda in a bowl. Add rest of ingredients and mix only until incorporated (don't over mix).
- Add mixture to a warm, lightly oiled cast iron skillet (or casserole dish)
- Bake in oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Foods of Crete Cook Book
Do you want to eat like the
healthiest people in the world?
In the 1960’s, the Greek island of Crete had the highest longevity rates in the world, the men lived to be the same age as the women and researchers could only find one man on the island who had heart disease.
In our cookbook, Foods of Crete: Traditional Recipes from the Healthiest People in the World you will find over 110 delectable recipes by Koula Barydakis, a chef and cooking teacher from the island and a guide to eating the Mediterranean diet by Bill Bradley, Registered Dietician.
Buy Olive Oil From Crete
Delicious and buttery, this is the oil that can be used for all your cooking needs including sauces, dressings, soups, bread dipping and even baking! Makes everything taste better!