Cornbread can be part of the Mediterranean Diet, but this recipe is more of a traditional Mexican or Southwestern U.S. recipe. I love how easy it is to make especially if you have a cast iron skillet (it will work size wise in skillets ranging from 7″ to 10″). It can also be baked in a 9″ x 12″ casserole dish. This recipe happens to be gluten free and full of flavor from the creamed corn and green chilies. If you like spicy than get the hot or medium green chilies. Otherwise, go for mild. One of my favorite things to do with this cornbread is to make huevos rancheros. Top warm cornbread with our black bean stew recipe and eggs fried in olive oil. A little Greek yogurt and salsa goes nicely with this as well. Enjoy!
Savory Skillet Cornbread (Mexico)
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (4.8 /5)
- 3 Ratings
Scroll down to
rate or review ↓
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup creamed corn
- 1 small can chopped green chilies
- 2/3 cup milk (replace with almond milk if desired)
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine cornmeal and baking soda in a bowl. Add rest of ingredients and mix only until incorporated (don't over mix).
- Add mixture to a warm, lightly oiled cast iron skillet (or casserole dish)
- Bake in oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Foods of Crete Cookbook
"The scientifically acclaimed “Mediterranean Diet” is presented at its best here, with the liberal use of olive oil and plenty of vegetable and fish dishes in addition to mezedes (appetizers), meat dishes, desserts, and pretty much every Cretan dish you can think of."
Buy Olive Oil From Crete
Delicious and buttery, this is the oil that can be used for all your cooking needs including sauces, dressings, soups, bread dipping and even baking! Makes everything taste better!