Italian Farmhouse Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 10 ounces package Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 10 ounces package fresh spinach (baby or regular), de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, stems removed and chopped
- 28 ounces can diced tomatoes
- 28 ounces can pureed tomatoes
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
In a large thick-bottomed pot, heat olive oil on medium heat.
Add onions and peppers. Sauté for a few minutes.
Add mushrooms. Sauté for a few minutes.
Add spinach and parsley. Sauté until greens are wilted.
Add tomatoes and all other ingredients. Bring to a boil and then simmer for at least a half an hour, stirring occasionally. This can be on a low heat for an hour or more. The longer the better!
Calories: 210kcalCarbohydrates: 28gProtein: 7gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gSodium: 415mgPotassium: 1284mgFiber: 8gSugar: 16gVitamin A: 6920IUVitamin C: 105mgCalcium: 173mgIron: 6mg