14th Century Egyptian Hummus
- 1.5 cups chickpeas (15 oz can), drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup wine red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp fresh mint
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios, raw
- 1/4 cup shelled walnuts, raw
- 1/4 cup almonds, raw
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, raw
- 1/8 tsp thyme
- 1/8 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/4 tsp coriander seeds
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup black or green olives, pitted or with pits
- 1 preserved lemon, chopped into pieces (optional) or a squeeze of lemon juice
Mash the chickpeas with a fork or potato masher.
Stir together the olive oil, red wine vinegar and tahini and then mix in with the chickpeas.
Toast all of the nuts in a skillet on medium heat. Stir often, careful not to burn. Should take about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Finely chop parsley and mint in a food processor and then add the nuts and coarsely chop the nuts. Add herbs and nuts to chickpea mixture.
Mix the remaining spices into the chickpeas. Top the hummus with olives and either chopped, preserved lemons or a good squeeze of lemon juice.
Calories: 260kcalCarbohydrates: 7gProtein: 6gFat: 25gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 7gMonounsaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gSodium: 139mgPotassium: 205mgFiber: 3gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 200IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 55mgIron: 2mg