You don’t have to eat only traditional Mediterranean food in order to follow the basic Mediterranean diet guidelines . Mexican, Chinese, Indian, and yes, even American foods can all be eaten; it’s all about choosing wisely.
Let’s start with the basic guidelines of eating Mediterranean and then give examples of what you could eat in different situations.
Mediterranean Diet Guidelines
- Majority of food is unprocessed.
- Fruits or vegetables are eaten in quantity at every meal.
- Whole grains are emphasized.
- Beans, nuts, and seeds are major sources of protein.
- Lean red meat is eaten no more than once per week.
- Choose lean meats and limit serving sizes to 3 ounces.
- Fat sources are mainly monounsaturated.
- Diet is high in Omega-3 fatty acids (i.e. – fish, flax oil).
- Low-fat cheese and yogurt are used in moderate amounts.
- If alcohol is consumed, it is at mealtime and in moderation.
- Desserts are mostly fruit based.
- Activity is included daily with a combination of cardiovascular and weight bearing exercises.
- Ice Cream with Fruit on top
- Fried Chicken with Greens
- Smaller hamburger with a side of salad and fries