We had this soup again last night and my wife asked me “why is this soup so good?”. It’s a question worth exploring because it is the favorite soup in my cooking classes as well. It is so simple and just a scan of the ingredients wouldn’t have me running to make it. But, the blend of chicken sautéed in olive oil, wine, and leeks makes for a delicious combo that is well worth the minimal effort of making it. It is a healing soup and a few weeks ago I made it when Christine and I both had colds. It also works as an opener to a fancy dinner party because of it’s simplicity combined with its rich, flavorful broth.
Chicken Leek Soup with White Wine (Island of Crete-Greece)
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (3.7 /5)
- 6 ratings
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large leek, cut into thin rounds
- 4 green onions (scallions), chopped
- 4 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 small cabbage, cut into thick slices
- 1 cup white wine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- pinch of nutmeg
- 3 cups water
- In a deep pot, heat the olive oil. Add the chicken and sauté until cooked on the outside. Add the leeks, green onions, and celery. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add cabbage and sauté for a few minutes until fork tender. Add wine, salt, pepper, paprika, nutmeg and water. Mix well.
- Cook on low heat for 45 minutes.
About the Recipe Author
Koula Barydakis was born into a long tradition of eating and living Mediterranean on the Greek island of Crete. She is a chef who has worked in many of ...More from this author
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Foods of Crete Cook Book
Do you want to eat like the
healthiest people in the world?
In the 1960’s, the Greek island of Crete had the highest longevity rates in the world, the men lived to be the same age as the women and researchers could only find one man on the island who had heart disease.
In our cookbook, Foods of Crete: Traditional Recipes from the Healthiest People in the World you will find over 110 delectable recipes by Koula Barydakis, a chef and cooking teacher from the island and a guide to eating the Mediterranean diet by Bill Bradley, Registered Dietician.
Buy Olive Oil From Crete
Delicious and buttery, this is the oil that can be used for all your cooking needs including sauces, dressings, soups, bread dipping and even baking! Makes everything taste better!