This is one of the most traditional and loved recipes in Crete. On the weekends, families venture out to the mountains to pick wild greens. Here, we substitute chard and spinach for the wild greens of Crete.
Horta (greens) with Potatoes
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Moderate
- (4.5 /5)
- 2 ratings
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 bunches swiss chard, stems removed and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 package spinach, stems removed and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 6 baby potatoes, peeled and cut into halves
- 10 cloves garlic, sliced
- Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium sized pot (the less wide, the better) add olive oil and water.
- Add all other ingredients except for lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil and then lower to simmer.
- Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring often. Add more water, if needed, but most of the water should boil out leaving mostly olive oil.
- Add lemon juice in last few minutes of cooking. Salt and pepper, to taste.
About the Recipe Author
Koula Barydakis was born into a long tradition of eating and living Mediterranean on the Greek island of Crete. She is a chef who has worked in many of ...More from this author
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Foods of Crete Cook Book
Do you want to eat like the
healthiest people in the world?
In the 1960’s, the Greek island of Crete had the highest longevity rates in the world, the men lived to be the same age as the women and researchers could only find one man on the island who had heart disease.
In our cookbook, Foods of Crete: Traditional Recipes from the Healthiest People in the World you will find over 110 delectable recipes by Koula Barydakis, a chef and cooking teacher from the island and a guide to eating the Mediterranean diet by Bill Bradley, Registered Dietician.
Buy Olive Oil From Crete
Delicious and buttery, this is the oil that can be used for all your cooking needs including sauces, dressings, soups, bread dipping and even baking! Makes everything taste better!