This is one of my go to Mediterranean diet recipes when pepper season arrives in Crete. All the ingredients are fresh from the backyard including, of course the olives and olive oil. I pick the basil right before I chop it for ultimate freshness. Sometimes, I will also add whatever other herbs I have on hand (dill or mint are my favorites). If you are looking for some protein to make this a complete meal you can add poached chicken or feta or parmesan cheese. This red pepper salad also goes really well with any lamb dish such as my Greek lamb, tomato and onion skewers. Enjoy! Koula
Roasted Pepper and Kalamata Olive Salad (Greek Island of Crete)
- 4 red peppers
- 4 yellow peppers
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 20 Greek olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking pan with aluminum foil. Place peppers in the pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Use your fingers to remove any skin that comes off easily.
- Slice peppers and place in a bowl. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well and serve.