I love salads that are a meal in themselves. This Mediterranean Diet twist on a Waldorf salad fits the bill wonderfully. Nutritionally, it has it all: Fruits and vegetables (including your daily serving of greens), omega-3 and protein packed walnuts, anti-inflammatory olive oil and pungent, calcium rich gorgonzola cheese. Serve with soup and/or a small piece of crusty Italian bread. The dressing has been a favorite for years and in this recipe you will make enough dressing not only for this salad, but for all all of your salads throughout the week. Enjoy!
Apple, Walnut and Gorgonzola Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette
- 4 cups spring mix
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 1 granny smith apple, sliced thin
- 1 red pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1/8 red onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup Dijon Vinaigrette (recipe below)
Dijon Vinaigrette Dressing:
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add all dressing ingredients to a jar and shake well.
- In a large salad bowl add the veggies, apple, cheese, walnuts and 1/4 cup of the Dijon vinaigrette dressing. Toss and serve immediately.