We like to call this traditional Cretan dish “Surprise Noodles” because you’ll be surprised by how simple, yet flavor-packed it is. This egg noodle is served with a typical tomato wine sauce, with an added boost of chopped walnuts, making this dish special. You’ll love the combination of textures and flavors: crunchy bits of walnut, slippery noodles, a mellow wine sauce and bright, fresh basil flavor. Parmesan adds an umami element to this dish. When you are craving comfort food, enjoy a hearty bowl of Egg Noodles with Walnuts and Basil.
Photo Credit: Christine Dutton
Egg Noodles with Walnuts and Basil
- 1 pound egg noodles, dry
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 pound fresh tomatoes, cubed
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- Parmesan cheese, to taste (optional)
- Sauté onions in 2 tablespoons oil for 5 minutes.
- Add the wine, garlic, and tomatoes. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the walnuts, basil, salt, pepper, sugar, and tomato paste. Simmer for 10 minutes or until thick.
- Cook egg noodles according to directions on package. Strain noodles and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add sauce and toss. Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
My sauce never seemed to thicken. Tasted good though.
It should thicken. You might try turning the heat a bit more and see if that helps.
I thoroughly enjoyed this recipe. I cut the recipe down to fewer servings; however, the next time I make it I shall make the full recipe and enjoy it for a day or two more. I highly recommend this recipe.
We’re so glad you enjoyed the recipe! We love making the full recipe and then you can enjoy it for lunches. Thank you for trying our recipe and sharing your comments. Happy cooking!
Great, quick recipe! I like pesto and this sauce with walnuts and wine is an easy, no-fuss alternative. Will be adding this one to the dinner rotation!