I have met very few people in this world that do not enjoy a nicely made Eggplant Parmesan. In Italian we call this – Melanzane alla Parmigiana and although it has few ingredients, there is a very good reason why everyone enjoys this delicious Mediterranean Diet recipe. This gluten free Eggplant Parmesan is prepared the traditional way, without using breadcrumbs.
I love this with a simple salad (lettuce, tomato and cucumbers) with our Honey Dijon Vinaigrette.
Eggplant Parmesan with Prosciutto (Italy) (Gluten Free)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 medium eggplants
- 6 ounces thinly sliced, raw Parma Ham (Prosciutto)
- olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Gently simmer the tomato sauce.
- Trim the eggplant and cut into rounds; Sprinkle the eggplant with salt and place in a colander for 20 minutes; Rinse slices and pat dry.
- Heat a generous layer of olive oil in a frying pan and fry the eggplant slices on both slides until they are golden, then dry on paper towels.
- Place a layer of the eggplant slices at the bottom of a well-buttered baking dish, cover with slices of ham, a few tablespoons of tomato sauce, pepper, and generously sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Repeat the layers until the ingredients are all used.
- Dot the surface with butter and bake in a slow oven at 325 for about an hour.
- Serve hot.
- *By Italian standards, the sauce should be homemade, fresh and flavorful, but can be prepared with the simplest of ingredients, such as olive oil, butter, onion, garlic and herbs.
Delicious, my husband loved this! Paired with a Greek Salad, completely satisfied. Will be having again.