I’ve eaten a lot of lamb in my life but in my opinion, the tastiest and most enjoyable cut of lamb is the lamb chop (or lamb lollipops). The best I’ve ever had was in a mountain village in Northern Greece. I was on a hiking trip and rented a room in a traditional village where every building and walkway is made out of stone from the nearby gorge. The village has an elevation of 3,480 feet! The quality of meat in this region of Greece is almost unmatched. The animals roam wild on the mountains eating organic herbs and greens. The flavor and texture of the meat are indescribable.
I sat down for dinner at the family-owned hotel looking out at the mountains. I ordered a Greek salad, french fries, and grilled lamb chops. Most of these small family-run hotels in Greece have their own produce, and a lot of times their own meat as well. This wasn’t any different. Everything in the Greek salad was freshly picked from the garden. The french fries were made with potatoes from their garden and fried in extra virgin olive oil. Fresh bread was also served, but that’s pretty much a given in Greece.
The star of the meal was definitely the grilled lamb chops. They are seasoned very simply with salt, pepper, oregano, olive oil, and lemon juice. They are grilled over charcoal which gives them the best flavor. In my opinion, you can’t have too much lemon juice or oregano on lamb chops. I squeeze fresh lemon onto almost every bite.
I’ve decided to make a few additions to the traditional Greek lamb chop recipe. Mustard is used in some Greek dishes that you wouldn’t expect like lemon potatoes. Adding a little mustard to these lamb lollipops before grilling gives them a tanginess that I love. The only other addition is fresh chopped garlic. Garlic and lamb just go so well together I think it’s a delicious addition. I also grilled some cubanelle peppers to go along with these chops because I wanted a grilled vegetable as a side.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment! Enjoy!
Here are some other easy lamb recipes to try!
Armenian Losh Kebab (Lamb and Beef Burgers)
Greek Roasted Lamb and Potatoes
Greek Lamb, Tomato, and Onion Kabobs
Grilled Lamb Chops (Lamb Lollipops)
- 8 lamb chops (~ 1 and 1/2 pounds)
- salt and pepper
- dried oregano
- 1/2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- 1 lemon juice
- 2 Lemons for garnish
- Put the lamb chops on a platter or sheet pan to season.
- Liberally season each chop on both sides with salt, black pepper, and dried oregano.
- Spread a little mustard on each chop with your fingers to coat evenly. Wash your hands.
- Sprinkle on minced garlic. Then drizzle a small amount of extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice on each chop. Let the chops sit and marinate for 5-10 minutes while you heat the grill to high heat.
- You want a really hot grill so you can sear the chops on each side. Sear each lamb chop for around 2 minutes a side for rare. Approximately 3 minutes a side for medium to medium-rare. Make sure to only flip each chop once. This will ensure the spices make a nice crust on the outside and the fat caramelizes.
- Serve extra lemon slices and enjoy!
Looks great! If it using wood pellets will be better! Grilled Lamb Lollipops are easy and elegant to make on the stove or grill. Flavored with simple ingredients it takes just a few minutes to get them on the dinner table.
Excellent recipe. We tried these on the grill recently and were very pleased with the results. Quick and easy to do with great results.