There’s nothing more comforting than a delicious stew that’s been left simmering on the stove. Here is a great Greek lamb stew recipe, that takes some simmering time, yet is really easy to prepare with just a short list of ingredients. The ingredients meld together into a delicious sauce that will keep you coming back for more!
Serve with our Authentic Greek Salad, red wine and bread.
Lamb Stew With Spinach & Garbanzos
- 1 pound lamb shoulder or stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- salt and pepper
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, pressed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup 1/2-inch pieces peeled carrots
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained 15 ounces
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 10 ounces bag spinach, stems removed and chopped
Sprinkle lamb with salt, pepper, and garlic. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add lamb and sauté until brown, about 10 minutes.
Add onion and carrots and sauté until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garbanzo beans, broth, tomato sauce, and lemon juice and bring to simmer.
Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot and simmer gently until lamb is tender, about 1 hour.
Add spinach to stew. Cover and cook until spinach wilts, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Calories: 271kcalCarbohydrates: 12