Spice up your day with our recipe for Mediterranean Spiced Rice with Black Beans & Chickpeas. This recipe creates a fabulous one-pot meal in no time! We love that it is packed with both healthy ingredients and wonderful, full-bodied flavor. This recipe also makes a big batch. You may even have leftovers, which will make a great warming lunch.
Photo Credit: Christine Dutton
Mediterranean Spiced Rice With Black Beans & Chickpeas
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sumac (optional)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 can (30 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (30 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped (set aside a few sprigs unchopped for garnish)
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 tomato, chopped or cut into thin slices
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in garlic, and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in rice, salt, cumin, sumac (optional), turmeric, paprika and cayenne pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes, then pour in chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Gently mix chick peas, black beans, parsley, and lemon juice into the cooked rice.
- Cook another 5 minutes on low heat.
- Garnish with whole parsley leaves, tomatoes, a dollop of Greek yogurt and scallions.
Calories: 197kcalCarbohydrates: 31gProtein: 8gFat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 160mgPotassium: 317mgFiber: 4gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 878IUVitamin C: 14mgCalcium: 50mgIron: 2mg
Have you tried this recipe? Tell us about it!Click here to rate this recipe in the comments section below.
Just made this and the family really loved. Followed the seasonings exactly but tossed in some red onion and artichoke hearts that I had.
So good! Followed recipe with minor tweeks.
Glad you liked it!