Are you passionate about potatoes and think you can’t eat them on a Mediterranean diet? Think again! Try one the most popular recipes from our Foods of Crete cookbook. This recipe uses a long cooking method, which results in potatoes with a crispy exterior and soft interior. The prep is fast and easy so you give just a little effort for great results! We’re sure these garlicky lemon potatoes will become a side dish favorite in your home.
Photo Credit: Christine Dutton
Greek Lemon and Garlic Potatoes (recipe and video)
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and quartered (about 4 medium sized russets)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put everything in a large casserole dish and mix very well.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour or until potatoes are soft. Stir at about 30 minutes.
Do you have any recommendations on what would be good to serve with these?
This dish is a real crowd pleaser. Everyone loves ’em and if you do have any leftovers, they are also amazing as a breakfast side dish.
Started eating these right out of the dish! The aroma and the lemony herbs are delicious and the texture was perfect–even with next day leftovers. This is my new favorite side dish, thank you!