Cooks all over the Mediterranean bake sweets with olive oil. When baking sweet treats you want to have an olive oil with a buttery taste. Oils with a strong “olivey” taste might not work as well for sweets, but are great for breads and savory treats. This almond cake makes a great dessert served with tea or coffee after a light meal. Cinnamon, walnuts and raisins give this cake incredible flavor and is packed so nutrient packed you can have it even as a Mediterranean Diet breakfast. Enjoy!
Almond Cake Baked with Olive Oil, Cinnamon and Raisins (Crete)
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 cake
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- Add your rating below ↓
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup almonds, mashed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking soda
- Confectioner’s sugar and cinnamon to sprinkle on top of cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat olive oil and sugar in a bowl with a hand mixer for 10 minutes. Add eggs and mix for 5 more minutes.
- Add milk, raisins, almonds, cinnamon, and cloves. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour and baking soda.
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture. Mix with a rubber spatula until well incorporated.
- Pour into an oiled bundt pan. You can use a regular 9” cake pan, but it cooks better in a bundt pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until inserted knife comes out clean.
About Recipe Author
Koula Barydakis was born into a long tradition of eating and living Mediterranean on the Greek island of Crete. She is a chef who has worked in many of ...Read more about this chef..
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Foods of Crete Cook Book
Do you want to eat like the
healthiest people in the world?
In the 1960’s, the Greek island of Crete had the highest longevity rates in the world, the men lived to be the same age as the women and researchers could only find one man on the island who had heart disease.
In our cookbook, Foods of Crete: Traditional Recipes from the Healthiest People in the World you will find over 110 delectable recipes by Koula Barydakis, a chef and cooking teacher from the island and a guide to eating the Mediterranean diet by Bill Bradley, Registered Dietician.
Buy Olive Oil From Crete
Delicious and buttery, this is the oil that can be used for all your cooking needs including sauces, dressings, soups, bread dipping and even baking! Makes everything taste better!