This recipe is inspired by the James Beard Foundation’s recipe for Fagioli, Cicoria e Salsicce (Medley of Beans, Dandelion Greens, and Sausages). It’s a classic dish of Campania. This particular dish is very popular in some Italian-American households, and is commonly just called Cicoria. I decided to make a vegetarian version of the dish, with the idea of preparing something with dandelion that could be a full meal or a side. This is a highly nutritive and protein packed dish that is very tasty to boot!
Dandelion, Cannellini, Potatoes & Roasted Red Peppers
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (5 /5)
- 2 ratings
- Add your rating below ↓
- 1 bunch of dandelion greens
- 4 medium sized potatoes, chopped into 2 inch chunks
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1-15 ounce can of cannellini beans
- ¼ cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the dandelion greens and boil for 10 minutes. Drain thoroughly and roughly chop. In the meantime, also boil potatoes for 10 minutes.
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large sauté pan. Sauté potatoes until browned, about 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add chopped dandelion greens and sauté for an additional 3 to 4 minutes. Add the cannellini beans, roasted red peppers, salt and pepper to taste and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley and serve.
About Recipe Author
Christine is the Wellness Manager with Mediterranean Living. She is passionate about wellness, fitness and food. Basically, she runs to eat! You can find her in the kitchen, experimenting with ...Read more about this chef..
JOIN OUR 10 WEEK PROGRAM
Next Session Starts January 27th, 2020
The Mediterranean Way 10 Week Diet & Lifestyle program teaches you everything you need to know to easily and deliciously get the benefits of the proven healthy Mediterranean diet. Meal Plans, Recipes, Shopping Lists, Weekly Challenges and Lessons, Private Facebook Support Group, Cooking Videos and more!
“This program is a way of life, one which I have adopted successfully, and more importantly one which I have sustained for over one year now. My weight remains steady at 160 pounds (down from 216). My energy levels rival that of someone 20 years younger than me (I’m now 57), enabling me to exercise in any way that I desire, from lifting weights to intense cardio sessions.”
— Michael Little
“After completing my 10-week program, I had a regularly-scheduled appointment with my doctor. Because my cholesterol has always been above the normal range (229 last year) I requested that she test it again this year. I’m happy to report that my total cholesterol dropped to 169, which is in the normal range, and all my other numbers improved as well.”
— Claire C.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Foods of Crete Cook Book
Do you want to eat like the
healthiest people in the world?
In the 1960’s, the Greek island of Crete had the highest longevity rates in the world, the men lived to be the same age as the women and researchers could only find one man on the island who had heart disease.
In our cookbook, Foods of Crete: Traditional Recipes from the Healthiest People in the World you will find over 110 delectable recipes by Koula Barydakis, a chef and cooking teacher from the island and a guide to eating the Mediterranean diet by Bill Bradley, Registered Dietician.
Buy Olive Oil From Crete
Delicious and buttery, this is the oil that can be used for all your cooking needs including sauces, dressings, soups, bread dipping and even baking! Makes everything taste better!