Salmon Cakes are a summer meal you can enjoy year round
The middle of summer makes me think of my time in Crete when I ate fritters of all sorts including fish fritters that were out of this world! Our friend Michaelangelo Wescott, who is the chef and owner of the Gypsy Apple Bistro, has provided us with a similar flavor with these salmon cakes with potato and fire roasted corn salsa. Just like my favorite fritters, these salmon cakes are moist in the middle (by using mashed potatoes as a filling) and crispy on the outside (by frying in extra virgin olive oil.) The salmon cakes are finished off with a super easy to make fire roasted corn salsa. I never though I could roast corn right on the stove top, but it works wonders. If you don’t have a gas stove you can always roast the ears of corn on a grill. I used tongs to turn them as they roasted. You do have to watch them closely so you don’t burn the kernels, but the flavor is worth it!
How to make this a 30 minute meal
In order to spend less time cooking and more time enjoying, start boiling the potatoes and then make the salsa as the potatoes cook. If you still have a bit of time before the potatoes get soft, you can start prepping the salmon cake ingredients, beginning with chopping the onion and dill.
Enjoy Salmon Cakes year round
All of the ingredients in the salmon cakes can be found year round, but you can also freeze them to enjoy whenever you want. I would try to make the salsa fresh and if you can’t find corn on the cob, you can always just fry up some frozen corn for a similar flavor.
If you would like to try our favorite fritter recipe from Crete, then try Koula Barydakis’ Zucchini Fritter with Feta, Cheddar, Mint and Parsley Recipe. It is fantastic!
Salmon Cakes with Potato and Fire Roasted Corn Salsa
SALMON AND POTATO CAKES
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 can salmon (6 ounces), drained
- 1 small onion, chopped or grated
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil for frying
FIRE ROASTED SALSA
- 2 large ears corn, shucked
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Make Fire Roasted Salsa. Peel and roast corn on a gas burner or on a grill. Shave corn off the cob with a knife into a mixing bowl.
- Add rest of salsa ingredients. Mix well. Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Next make the salmon cakes. Boil peeled potatoes until soft, then drain in a colander. Mash potatoes with a fork.
- In a large bowl, flake salmon with a fork. Add onion, egg, flour, dill, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and potatoes. Mix well with a fork.
- Make 12 patties. Heat olive oil on medium heat in a frying pan. Fry until golden brown on each side (about 5 minutes per side). Drain on a paper towel.
- Serve salmon cakes with fire roasted salsa.