This has all the hallmarks of my favorite Mediterranean Diet recipes: Fresh tomatoes, fresh herbs, cheese and lot’s of olive oil. It is best to make this when all the ingredients are in season, the tomato at it’s full juicy ripeness, the herbs pungent and full of flavor. It can be a summer lunch with the addition of fresh bread and Greek olives and a glass of wine or a side dish at a Mediterranean barbecue with chicken souvlaki and grilled Caesar salad.
From the book “Foods of Crete: Traditional Recipes from the Healthiest People in the World” by Koula Barydakis and Bill Bradley, R.D.
Tomato Slices with Feta Cheese and Fresh Herbs (Island of Crete)
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1/2 pound feta
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Slice tomatoes into ¼” rounds. Slice feta into the same number of thin slices.
- Mix parsley and oregano in a bowl with olive oil. Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place a slice of feta on top of each tomato and then spoon on herb and oil mixture. Repeat for all tomato slices.
Love this recipe and the many others that Koula has written in her cookbook “Foods of Crete”. I have been lucky enough to have taken two of Koula’s cooking classes while visiting in Vamos Crete. Not only are her recipes fantastic, but she is also a fantastic person to meet.