Now that the weather is becoming colder, I’m back to using the Instant Pot a lot. One of the great things about the Instant Pot is that you can cook dried beans without soaking them overnight. It takes thirty to forty minutes to fully cook the dried beans depending on what kind you have. Well, I didn’t feel like waiting that long so I came up with an even quicker way. I’m really into beans and greens lately because it’s such an easy way to get protein without eating meat, and I get all the health benefits from the beans and dark greens, in one dish. My idea for this Instant Pot beans recipe was to cook it in only five minutes!
I’m using canned beans in this recipe and the reason I cook it for only five minutes is so the canned beans don’t disintegrate. Also, five minutes in the Instant Pot is the perfect amount of time to cook the greens. In only five minutes, the tomato sauce, tomato paste, reserved liquid from the beans, herbs, and extra virgin olive oil create a beautiful sauce that the beans and greens cook in.
In order to make this recipe successfully, there are a few tips you should follow:
- Prep and measure every ingredient before you start sauteing in the Instant Pot. The saute can become too hot for olive oil so you’ll need to work fast. It is easy if you have everything already prepped and ready to go into the Instant Pot.
- Drain only one can of the beans because you will add the liquid from the other can and add to the sauce.
- Don’t add a lot of extra salt because the reserved liquid from the beans is plenty salty.
- If you don’t have tomato sauce, you can use diced or crushed tomatoes.
- Any type of greens will work in this recipe.
This recipe is so easy, you will be making it all the time!
Check out some of Mediterranean Living’s other Instant Pot Mediterranean recipes:
Instant Pot Black-Eyed Peas with Fresh Dill and Parsley
Horta (Greens) and Potatoes in the Instant Pot
Instant Pot Fasolakia (Green Beans and Potatoes in Olive Oil)
7 Mediterranean Instant Pot Recipes
Purchasing an Instant Pot
The Instant Pot we use is the 6 quart version. It is just right for recipes that serve 4 all the way up to 8 servings. For us, it seems to be the perfect size. Below is the one we purchased from Amazon. I highly recommend it!
Instant Pot Beans and Greens (15-Minute Meal)