One of the keys to a really good couscous salad is to pay attention to the ratio of couscous to other ingredients. I believe that a really good Mediterranean Diet couscous recipe has as many delicious vegetables, herbs, and spices as the couscous. This Couscous Salad recipe is one of my favorites, with gorgeous flavors like parsley, lemon, and cumin. Cucumber, carrots, red pepper, and red onion make for a wonderfully crunchy texture. This recipe is especially fantastic in the height of the growing season when you can get vegetables from your local farm stand or your own garden.
Red Pepper and Cucumber Salad with Couscous and Chickpeas
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 10 cups
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (5 /5)
- 2 ratings
- Add your rating below ↓
- 1 cup couscous, raw
- 1 cucumber, peeled, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 1 red pepper, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced into small bite-sized pieces
- 1 can chick peas, 29 ounces, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, then to taste.
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare couscous according to directions. Once cooked, fluff with a fork, add tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Stir in well. Refrigerate to cool off.
- Prepare vegetables. Once couscous is cool, add all ingredients and refrigerate until time to serve.
About Recipe Author
JOIN OUR 10 WEEK PROGRAM
Next Session Starts January 27th, 2020
The Mediterranean Way 10 Week Diet & Lifestyle program teaches you everything you need to know to easily and deliciously get the benefits of the proven healthy Mediterranean diet. Meal Plans, Recipes, Shopping Lists, Weekly Challenges and Lessons, Private Facebook Support Group, Cooking Videos and more!
“This program is a way of life, one which I have adopted successfully, and more importantly one which I have sustained for over one year now. My weight remains steady at 160 pounds (down from 216). My energy levels rival that of someone 20 years younger than me (I’m now 57), enabling me to exercise in any way that I desire, from lifting weights to intense cardio sessions.”
— Michael Little
“After completing my 10-week program, I had a regularly-scheduled appointment with my doctor. Because my cholesterol has always been above the normal range (229 last year) I requested that she test it again this year. I’m happy to report that my total cholesterol dropped to 169, which is in the normal range, and all my other numbers improved as well.”
— Claire C.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Foods of Crete Cook Book
Do you want to eat like the
healthiest people in the world?
In the 1960’s, the Greek island of Crete had the highest longevity rates in the world, the men lived to be the same age as the women and researchers could only find one man on the island who had heart disease.
In our cookbook, Foods of Crete: Traditional Recipes from the Healthiest People in the World you will find over 110 delectable recipes by Koula Barydakis, a chef and cooking teacher from the island and a guide to eating the Mediterranean diet by Bill Bradley, Registered Dietician.
Buy Olive Oil From Crete
Delicious and buttery, this is the oil that can be used for all your cooking needs including sauces, dressings, soups, bread dipping and even baking! Makes everything taste better!