This recipe was inspired by an appetizer in the classic Italian cookbook, The Silver Spoon. Marinated eggplant with mint & capers is a favorite for brunches and small bites when having guests.
Marinated Eggplant with Mint & Capers
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Moderate
- (5 /5)
- 2 ratings
- Add your rating below ↓
- 2 eggplants cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. capers, rinsed
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil for frying
- ½ cup olive oil for brushing
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Additional chopped parsley for garnish
- Slice eggplants at ¼ inch thick. Brush one side with olive oil.
- Add olive oil to frying pan, just covering bottom. Heat olive oil in a frying pan and then add eggplants to pan (olive oil brushed side facing up). Brown eggplants on both sides. Some slices will cook faster than others. Remove eggplant slices when done and add more to the pan. Add additional olive oil as needed.
- Combine the garlic, capers, mint, parsley and oregano in a bowl and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a medium flat bowl or other container, make a single slightly overlapping layer of eggplant. Scatter a Tbsp. of the garlic and herb mixture over the eggplant and drizzle olive oil over the eggplant and mixture. Continue adding layers with a final scattering of the caper and herb mixture.
- Allow the eggplant to marinate in a cool place for at least 6 hours. Serve with pieces of crusty bread.
About Recipe Author
Christine is the Wellness Manager with Mediterranean Living. She is passionate about wellness, fitness and food. Basically, she runs to eat! You can find her in the kitchen, experimenting with ...Read more about this chef..
JOIN OUR 10 WEEK PROGRAM
Next Session Starts February 24th, 2020
The Mediterranean Way 10 Week Diet & Lifestyle program teaches you everything you need to know to easily and deliciously get the benefits of the proven healthy Mediterranean diet. Meal Plans, Recipes, Shopping Lists, Weekly Challenges and Lessons, Private Facebook Support Group, Cooking Videos and more!
“This program is a way of life, one which I have adopted successfully, and more importantly one which I have sustained for over one year now. My weight remains steady at 160 pounds (down from 216). My energy levels rival that of someone 20 years younger than me (I’m now 57), enabling me to exercise in any way that I desire, from lifting weights to intense cardio sessions.”
— Michael Little
“After completing my 10-week program, I had a regularly-scheduled appointment with my doctor. Because my cholesterol has always been above the normal range (229 last year) I requested that she test it again this year. I’m happy to report that my total cholesterol dropped to 169, which is in the normal range, and all my other numbers improved as well.”
— Claire C.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Foods of Crete Cook Book
Do you want to eat like the
healthiest people in the world?
In the 1960’s, the Greek island of Crete had the highest longevity rates in the world, the men lived to be the same age as the women and researchers could only find one man on the island who had heart disease.
In our cookbook, Foods of Crete: Traditional Recipes from the Healthiest People in the World you will find over 110 delectable recipes by Koula Barydakis, a chef and cooking teacher from the island and a guide to eating the Mediterranean diet by Bill Bradley, Registered Dietician.
Buy Olive Oil From Crete
Delicious and buttery, this is the oil that can be used for all your cooking needs including sauces, dressings, soups, bread dipping and even baking! Makes everything taste better!