This perfect tea cookie is made with olive oil instead of butter. We really appreciate just how simple it is to make these delightful orange cookies. These are also great for when you are making cookies for a crowd.
Sesame Cookies Baked with Olive Oil (Crete)
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 40 cookies
- Difficulty Level Moderate
- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 shot brandy
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 7 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ~1 cup sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix olive oil and brown sugar with a hand mixer for 10 minutes.
- Add orange juice and beat for another 2 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, brandy, cinnamon, cloves, and baking soda.
- Mix until well blended.
- Slowly stir in flour.
- Mix with your hands until a consistent dough is created.
- Roll dough in your hands to make round cookies. Roll in sesame seeds until completely covered.
- Bake for 25 minutes until browned. Let cool. Cookies will become crispy as they cool.
About the Recipe Author
Koula Barydakis was born into a long tradition of eating and living Mediterranean on the Greek island of Crete. She is a chef who has worked in many of ...More from this author
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Foods of Crete Cook Book
Do you want to eat like the
healthiest people in the world?
In the 1960’s, the Greek island of Crete had the highest longevity rates in the world, the men lived to be the same age as the women and researchers could only find one man on the island who had heart disease.
In our cookbook, Foods of Crete: Traditional Recipes from the Healthiest People in the World you will find over 110 delectable recipes by Koula Barydakis, a chef and cooking teacher from the island and a guide to eating the Mediterranean diet by Bill Bradley, Registered Dietician.
Buy Olive Oil From Crete
Delicious and buttery, this is the oil that can be used for all your cooking needs including sauces, dressings, soups, bread dipping and even baking! Makes everything taste better!