To me, almost all recipes from the Mediterranean Diet are comfort foods, but this dish is one of my “go-to meals” for when I want comfort in a hurry. Even though you may think of this as an Italian recipe because it has pasta, it is actually from the island of Crete. Packed with greens and olives and topped with Parmesan cheese, this is best served with a simple salad. Sometimes, I also make sautéed tri-colored peppers with capers as a side dish. For more recipes from the Island of Crete order our best selling book: “Foods of Crete: Traditional Recipes from the Healthiest People in the World” by Koula Barydakis and Bill Bradley, R.D.
Spaghetti with Greek Olives (Island of Crete)
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (4.3 /5)
- 2 ratings
- Add your rating below ↓
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup Greek olives, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 pound spaghetti, cooked and kept warm
- salt and pepper, to taste
- grated Parmesan cheese, (1 Tablespoon per serving)
- parsley for topping
- Sauté garlic and red pepper in 1 Tablespoon olive oil for 2 minutes. Add the spinach. Sauté 1 more minute.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and parsley. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the olives and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add the other 2 Tablespoons olive oil. Mix well and turn off heat. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve on warm spaghetti with grated parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
Koula Barydakis was born into a long tradition of eating and living Mediterranean on the Greek island of Crete. She is a chef who has worked in many of ...Read more about this chef..
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Foods of Crete Cook Book
Do you want to eat like the
healthiest people in the world?
In the 1960’s, the Greek island of Crete had the highest longevity rates in the world, the men lived to be the same age as the women and researchers could only find one man on the island who had heart disease.
In our cookbook, Foods of Crete: Traditional Recipes from the Healthiest People in the World you will find over 110 delectable recipes by Koula Barydakis, a chef and cooking teacher from the island and a guide to eating the Mediterranean diet by Bill Bradley, Registered Dietician.
Buy Olive Oil From Crete
Delicious and buttery, this is the oil that can be used for all your cooking needs including sauces, dressings, soups, bread dipping and even baking! Makes everything taste better!