To me, almost all recipes from the Mediterranean Diet are comfort foods, but this dish is one of my “go-to meals” for when I want comfort in a hurry. Even though you may think of this as an Italian recipe because it has pasta, it is actually from the island of Crete. Packed with greens and olives and topped with Parmesan cheese, this is best served with a simple salad. Sometimes, I also make sautéed tri-colored peppers with capers as a side dish. For more recipes from the Island of Crete order our best selling book: “Foods of Crete: Traditional Recipes from the Healthiest People in the World” by Koula Barydakis and Bill Bradley, R.D.
Spaghetti with Greek Olives (Island of Crete)
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (4.3 /5)
- 5 ratings
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup Greek olives, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 pound spaghetti, cooked and kept warm
- salt and pepper, to taste
- grated Parmesan cheese, (1 Tablespoon per serving)
- parsley for topping
- Sauté garlic and red pepper in 1 Tablespoon olive oil for 2 minutes. Add the spinach. Sauté 1 more minute.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and parsley. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the olives and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add the other 2 Tablespoons olive oil. Mix well and turn off heat. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve on warm spaghetti with grated parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
Koula Barydakis was born into a long tradition of eating and living Mediterranean on the Greek island of Crete. She is a chef who has worked in many of ...Read more about this chef..
JOIN OUR 10 WEEK PROGRAM
The Next Session Starts June 14th, 2021
The Mediterranean Way 10 Week Diet & Lifestyle program teaches you everything you need to know to easily and deliciously get the benefits of the proven healthy Mediterranean diet. Meal Plans, Recipes, Shopping Lists, Weekly Challenges and Lessons, Private Facebook Support Group, Cooking Videos and more!
“This program is a way of life, one which I have adopted successfully, and more importantly one which I have sustained for over one year now. My weight remains steady at 160 pounds (down from 216). My energy levels rival that of someone 20 years younger than me (I’m now 57), enabling me to exercise in any way that I desire, from lifting weights to intense cardio sessions.”
— Michael Little
“After completing my 10-week program, I had a regularly-scheduled appointment with my doctor. Because my cholesterol has always been above the normal range (229 last year) I requested that she test it again this year. I’m happy to report that my total cholesterol dropped to 169, which is in the normal range, and all my other numbers improved as well.”
— Claire C.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Foods of Crete Cookbook
"The scientifically acclaimed “Mediterranean Diet” is presented at its best here, with the liberal use of olive oil and plenty of vegetable and fish dishes in addition to mezedes (appetizers), meat dishes, desserts, and pretty much every Cretan dish you can think of."