To me, almost all recipes from the Mediterranean Diet are comfort foods, but this dish is one of my “go-to meals” for when I want comfort in a hurry. Even though you may think of this as an Italian recipe because it has pasta, it is actually from the island of Crete. Packed with greens and olives and topped with Parmesan cheese, this is best served with a simple salad. Sometimes, I also make sautéed tri-colored peppers with capers as a side dish. For more recipes from the Island of Crete order our best selling book: “Foods of Crete: Traditional Recipes from the Healthiest People in the World” by Koula Barydakis and Bill Bradley, R.D.
Spaghetti with Greek Olives (Island of Crete)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- 1 can diced tomatoes 14.5 ounces
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup Greek olives, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 pound spaghetti, cooked and kept warm
- salt and pepper, to taste
- grated Parmesan cheese, (1 Tablespoon per serving)
- parsley for topping
- Sauté garlic and red pepper in 1 Tablespoon olive oil for 2 minutes. Add the spinach. Sauté 1 more minute.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and parsley. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the olives and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add the other 2 Tablespoons olive oil. Mix well and turn off heat. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve on warm spaghetti with grated parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
Such a simple tasty dish from the most beautiful island in the world!!!
This go to spaghetti dish with olives was so good.. I will be making this again
Great! Thanks for making it!