This has all the hallmarks of my favorite Mediterranean Diet recipes: Fresh tomatoes, fresh herbs, cheese and lot’s of olive oil. It is best to make this when all the ingredients are in season, the tomato at it’s full juicy ripeness, the herbs pungent and full of flavor. It can be a summer lunch with the addition of fresh bread and Greek olives and a glass of wine or a side dish at a Mediterranean barbecue with chicken souvlaki and grilled Caesar salad.
Tomato Slices with Feta Cheese and Fresh Herbs (Island of Crete)
- Prep Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- Add your rating below ↓
- 3 large tomatoes
- ½ pound feta
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh oregano, chopped
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Slice tomatoes into ¼” rounds. Slice feta into the same number of thin slices.
- Mix parsley and oregano in a bowl with olive oil. Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place a slice of feta on top of each tomato and then spoon on herb and oil mixture. Repeat for all tomato slices.
Koula Barydakis was born into a long tradition of eating and living Mediterranean on the Greek island of Crete. She is a chef who has worked in many of ...Read more about this chef..