I get tired of the same old breakfasts all the time so I love to invent new ones! With this recipe, we get it all: a gluten free, vegetarian, veggie and protein packed morning meal that will keep you satisfied until lunchtime. By using instant polenta, this recipe can be made in 20 minutes tops. It is loaded with carotenoids, both from the polenta and the spinach. Carotenoids have been shown to be beneficial in reducing the risk of certain cancers and increasing your immune system. One more benefit: Even though this recipe is very filling, it is still low in calories and will help you lose weight. Enjoy deliciousness without guilt! Happy breakfast!
Savory Breakfast Polenta with Eggs, Sautéed Onions, and Spinach
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (4.8 /5)
- 2 ratings
- 1 cup whole milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 cup water, or more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup instant polenta
- 2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 onion, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- handful of spinach, stems removed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring milk, water, salt, and butter to a boil, stirring often so milk doesn’t scald.
- On a low heat, add polenta, stirring continuously. Add more water depending on desired creaminess. Take off heat and add Parmesan cheese.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add onions and sauté for about 3 minutes or until soft. Add spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted. Add garlic and balsamic vinegar. Mix well. Remove spinach and onions with a slotted spoon or tongs. Fry eggs in remaining liquid. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread half of polenta on a plate. Spoon on half of spinach/egg mixture and then top with an egg. Repeat on other plate.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Foods of Crete Cookbook
"The scientifically acclaimed “Mediterranean Diet” is presented at its best here, with the liberal use of olive oil and plenty of vegetable and fish dishes in addition to mezedes (appetizers), meat dishes, desserts, and pretty much every Cretan dish you can think of."
Buy Olive Oil From Crete
Delicious and buttery, this is the oil that can be used for all your cooking needs including sauces, dressings, soups, bread dipping and even baking! Makes everything taste better!