I get tired of the same old breakfasts all the time so I love to invent new ones! With this Mediterranean Diet breakfast recipe, we get it all: a gluten free, vegetarian, veggie and protein packed morning meal that will keep you satisfied until lunchtime. By using instant polenta, this breakfast polenta recipe can be made in 20 minutes tops. It is loaded with carotenoids, both from the polenta and the spinach. Carotenoids have been shown to be beneficial in reducing the risk of certain cancers and increasing your immune system. One more benefit: Even though this recipe is very filling, it is still low in calories and will help you lose weight. Enjoy deliciousness without guilt! Happy breakfast!
Check out more delicious Mediterranean Diet breakfast recipes here!
Savory Breakfast Polenta with Eggs, Sautéed Onions, and Spinach
- 1 cup whole milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 cup water, or more if needed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp butter
- 1/2 cup instant polenta
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 onion, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- handful spinach, stems removed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring milk, water, salt, and butter to a boil, stirring often so milk doesn’t scald.
- On a low heat, add polenta, stirring continuously. Add more water depending on desired creaminess. Take off heat and add Parmesan cheese.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add onions and sauté for about 3 minutes or until soft. Add spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted. Add garlic and balsamic vinegar. Mix well. Remove spinach and onions with a slotted spoon or tongs. Fry eggs in remaining liquid. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread half of polenta on a plate. Spoon on half of spinach/egg mixture and then top with an egg. Repeat on other plate.
Leave A Comment