Breakfast will never be the same. This recipe for Sweet Potato Hash with Eggs is super easy, delicious and sure to leave you satisfied, ready to start the day.
This reimagining of hash makes it a wonderful breakfast option. We swapped out regular potatoes with sweet potatoes, which means more vitamin A, antioxidants and potassium. We also took out processed meats and, instead, added uncured chicken sausage to the recipe to ensure the scrumptious meaty flavors while feeling confident in the quality of the meat.
A major part of why this sweet potato hash recipe is a healthy alternative to traditional hash is that it is plant-based instead of animal-based. The key is choosing plant-based ingredients that will produce a similar experience to eating something animal-based. That’s why we chose mushrooms and red peppers in this recipe as our additional vegetables.
As always, we baked our hash in extra virgin olive oil. Extra virgin olive oil is one of the best fats because it is packed with antioxidants, minimally processed and is consumed by people who exhibit the lowest rates of heart disease in the world (Crete!). Here is a fascinating study on the association between olive oil consumption and heart disease if you are interested in learning more!
Another terrific aspect of this sweet potato hash recipe is that it’s all done and ready to go on a single sheet pan. Sheet pan recipes are great because they keep cooking simple, allow the flavors of all the ingredients to come together, and streamline the clean up afterwards. Not to mention, the presentation of the finished dish is exceptional. This sweet potato hash is no exception. So, next time you crave a bountiful breakfast that won’t leave you feeling overly full and sleepy, check out this recipe.
Also, be sure to check out these other healthy breakfast recipes on our site!
Spinach and Ricotta Frittata (Southern Italy)
Avocado Toast with Smoked Salmon, Fresh Dill and Capers
Sweet Potato Hash with Eggs
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cut into small ½ inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions sliced into ½ inch cubes
- 2 uncured pre-cooked sausages of your choice (I like spicy chicken)
- 1 red pepper sliced into ½ inch pieces
- 6 baby portobello mushrooms cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 8 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spread cut potatoes evenly on a sheet pan. Add 2 Tablespoons olive oil, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Stir potatoes until they are completely coated with oil and spices.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add onions, sausages, red pepper and mushrooms. Drizzle on another tablespoon of olive oil plus a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Mix well, making sure all vegetables are coated well.
- Bake in oven for 20 more minutes or until veggies are caramelized.
- Remove from oven. Crack eggs on top of veggies and potatoes.
- Bake for 5 more minutes or until eggs are done.
Leave A Comment